Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:29:10 -0500
From:
Debbie Bang <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
I have read with interest the raging discussion about which is the best approach
to take when speaking/meeting/gathering/working with politicians.  It seems to
me that the CLICK4HP camp is saying loud and clear that current policies and
cost saving measures taken by government in Ontario and elsewhere are WRONG,
absolutely, beyond a doubt ... no qualifying statements needed ... THEY ARE
WRONG!

The underlying issue seems to be a debate about what approach to take to change
the WRONG that has been done.  As Baz and other stated, there are multiple ways
of getting what we want, some more energy and resource intensive that others.

I like to think of achieving change in terms of a pendulum.  There are two
extremes ... those that are adamantly opposed to making any changes ... and
those who are adamantly opposed to NOT making any changes.  Both camps are loud
and intolerant of the other's opinion.   These groups are "issue identifiers",
they have the facts (as they see them), articulate the facts well, and have a
vested interest (for a variety of reasons) in their camp.  Each camp has
followers and depending on the issue and the strength of the camp's voice ...
the size of the follower group changes.  Neither camp has all the answers and
neither approach to the issue at hand (each camp is at the opposite end of the
spectrum) is the IDEAL OR BEST CHOICE!

What usually happens is that a solution or compromise is found at some point in
the pendulum's swing and not necessarily in the middle ground.  The issue for me
it not which is the best approach to getting what we what but recognizing that
we really DO NOT KNOW which approach will work best and thus should respect all
approaches, especially when we are working towards the same end!!

Potential Collective Action:
Perhaps this list would better serve to mobilize our collective energies and to
collectively develop a variety of approaches to take to address the issues of
the Ontario and other government's policies.

Have we collected the "facts" together is one place that all can access?
(perhaps on the OPC or Centre for Health Promotions web page with a hard copy
available)

Have we identified those sympathetic to our case who also have power? (this
includes community leaders and politicians in municipalities beyond Toronto).
Is this information stored centrally, where all can access?

Have we generated a variety of alternative approaches/potential policies instead
of what we currently have?  Are these written down centrally where all can
access?

What action will/can each person take?  Has this been divided up?

Any thoughts/comments??

Debbie Bang
Coordinator/Researcher
St. Joseph's Community Health Centre