Sender:
From:
Braz King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:50:42 -0500
Apologies for the whimsical subject but a little levity never hurts...

Thanks to everyone who is contributing to this discussion.  I think we are
uncovering some very important issues.

I would like to pose a question in response to Ron Labonte's message.

Ron wrote:

>Avoid using the language of the conservative or neoliberal right
>wing.  It's all about economics (value for money, etc.) which reduces people
>to calculating entrepreneurs and hides the moral nature of "social work"
>(broadly defined, which includes health promotion) and social relationships
>generally.  Its underpinning economic theory is also historically wrong.
>Use a language of care, need, value and morals.  Always.

Is there any value to cost-benefit analyses in health promotion?  I would
argue that there is.  Effective health promotion conducted on a wide scale
will lead to improved health status AND reduced health care costs.
Measuring the impact of health promotion programs on the health care
system's bottom line will enable us to use economic arguments in favour of
health promotion.

Ron, your message seems to indicate that you would not agree.  I am
interested in your opinion, as well as anyone else who is interested.

Braz King
Managing Director
Smaller World Communications
116 Westwood Lane