From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 16:01:25 -0500
-- [ From: John Bird * EMC.Ver #3.2 ] --

In a book catalog the other day, I saw an advertisement for a biography of
Josh
Norton, _The Remarkable Story of Norton I_.  He lived in San Francisco and
proclaimed himself "Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico."
The
blurb quotes Mark Twain to Howells, on how strange he was and wondering that
no
one had "written him up."  The ad goes on to claim that Norton is the model
for
the king in Huck Finn.  I had never heard of him.  In _Mark Twain and Huck
Finn_
, Blair suggests Charles C. Duncan, captain of the _Quaker City_, as the
model
for the king, but no mention of Josh Norton.  Anybody know anything about
this?
(I don't have either MT Encyclopedia or A to Z here to check--just thought
this
was interesting!)
--
John Bird