From:
Randall Knoper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 12:05:05 -0400
And it is worth noting that the Norton Critical Edition of The Adventures of
Tom Sawyer includes the essay by Carter Revard, "Why Mark Twain Murdered
Injun Joe: And Will Never Be Indicted," which asks the same question you do.
 (First published in the Massachusetts Review 40, no. 4 (1999-2000):
643-670).  But I have a student working on this topic, and she convinces me
that there is a fair amount of scholarship out there to draw upon.

Randall