From:
Blake Poland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 11:35:49 -0500
Merci Michel for having circulated this resolution.

While I don't share Donald's (narrow) vision of health promotion (health
education?), I do agree that the resolution remains altogether too vague
unless it at least attempts to indicate what is meant by "empowerment",
"community capacity", "partnership", a settings approach to health
promotion, and other such key terms (including health itself). Without
this, the resolution becomes, I think, altogether too maleable and
platitudinous potentially legitimating rhetoric for a host of practices
which we might well not support. I would also have liked to see a stronger
focus on social justice and on economic disparities (gap b/n rich and poor)
as key determinants of health.

Blake Poland
Public Health Sciences
University of Toronto