Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 22:44:02 -0500
7bit
From:
Peter Salwen <[log in to unmask]>
Sounds like you're looking for something on Twain's practice of
meticulously preparing for what his listeners would suppose was an
"impromptu" speech -- which practice consisted in planning every word,
phrase, and pause beforehand (especially the pauses) and then arranging
various salt & pepper shakers, glasses, napkins and other bits of handy
tableware before him and using them as mnemonic devices when he rose to
speak.

I can't remember offhand where I read about this, but I'd start with
Paul Fatout's magnificent collection of Twain's speeches (U. of Iowa
Press).  I think Howells may have covered some of the same ground in his
introduction to a small volume of MT's speeches, published around 1912;
and I think Twain may have described these devices himself in his
autobiography.

Happy hunting!