Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:11:20 -0800
7bit
From:
Ellen Oster <[log in to unmask]>
I want to thank everyone - Victor, Barb, Kevin and others who supplied
info and references about the Gillis cabin.

I thought the List might like to know that my interest stemmed from
having read once quite a long time ago in our local paper about a man
who had an original photograph of that cabin. I found the article in the
newspaper archives and discovered the old fellow was still living and
went to see and visit with him about his photograph.

It turns out his father, as a youth of 17, lived in that cabin around
1895, or so with some other fellows working cutting timber to shore up
some nearby mine. The photo showed the father and several other men
sitting or standing in front of the cabin.

Had not come across authenticated photos of the Gillis cabin until
receiving photocopies from published sources from Kevin and Victor.
Anyway, the cabin indeed appears to be the same one. In fact, this man
is corresponding with Stephen Rice of the Mark Twain House in Hartford
about possibly placing the photo there. Stephen, in a note to me, said
he believes one of the people in the photo is Jim Gillis.

Thanks again for your help!

Ellen