Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:55:43 -0500
Steve,

I can direct you to a book that has a chapter about this very  subject.
 Jerry Griswold's book AUDACIOUS KIDS:  COMING OF AGE IN AMERICA'S CLASSIC
CHILDREN'S BOOKS (Oxford University Press, 1992) discusses the subject of
parricide and HUCK FINN.    Chapter 2 is entitled "The Long Parricidal
Dream:
 ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN."    I believe the paperback of this book is coming
out in the next month, too.

Also,  in the same book another chapter deals with concept of guilt, which
is
very prevalent in TOM SAWYER.  This is Chapter 4 and is called "Remorse and
Regrets: ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER."

In PUDD'NHEAD WILSON, a definite case can be made regarding Tom in
particular.  His relationship with Roxana reflects this special relationship
(if not affection) for the opposite sex parent;  and his killing of his
uncle
who acts as a surrogate father is a direct acting out of the oedipal desire
to kill the rival--same sex parent.

One other work that I can think of is also THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER.  Twain
alludes to Tom Canty's special relationship with his mother and the
antogonism toward the treacherous father.  Also there are many surrogate
father-figures that both boys relate to.

Good luck in your research,

Carolyn L. Richey
SDSU