From:
Carolyn L Richey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:16:14 EDT
RE:
>.  Things have been fascinating the last couple of days.  At
>times, I have felt like I've been sitting in on the academic
>equivalent
>of the Geraldo Rivera show.  It is good to know that academics have
>all
>the attributes of the rest of the human race.  Keep it up - this is
>fun.

I also agree that things have been fascinating and lively lately.  I
couldn't help considering what Twain would say to all of this.

>From Ayres' _Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain_, about the recent debates:

Re: THE FACTS

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you
please."

"The mere knowledge of a fact is pale; but when you come to REALIZE your
fact, it takes on color.  It is all the difference between hearing of a
man being stabbed to the heart, and seeing it done."

"We do not deal much in facts when we are contemplating ourselves."

Re:  THE CRITICS

"I like criticism, but it must be my way."

"One mustn't criticize other people on grounds where he can't stand
perpendicular himself."

"It is easy to find fault, if one has that disposition.  There was once a
man who, not being able to find any other fault with his coal, complained
that there were too many prehistoric toads in it."

"I don't mind what the opposition say of me so long as they don't tell
the truth about me.  But when they descend to telling the truth about me
I consider that this is taking an unfair advantage."

"It is the will of God that we must have critics, and missionaries, and
congressmen, and humorists, and we must bear the burden."

Personally, I think he'd be in the thick of this.

clr