Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 20:12:37 -0700
All right, sports fans, I hate to break up a good round of speculation,
but:  "I have made this letter so long only because I have not had the
leisure to make it shorter" is attributed to Pascal, _ Lettres
Provinciales_, XVI.  My source (I do not blush to admit it, though I
probably should) is Edward M. Stack's _Reading French in the Arts and
Sciences_.  It is my hope that writing this message will impress upon me
forever that Pascal is the source--I usually chicken out with, "as the
Frenchman said . . .," since I can never remember which one.

Peg Wherry
Weber State University