From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 20:03:49 -0500
I will heartily agree with John Davis's review of _Mark twain A to Z_
concerning
Barbara Schmidt's achievement in tracking down info on James Paige (not to
mention Kent Rasmussen's achievement in writing the reference book--I
haven't
seen the new edition, but the first was truly masterful).  I know all too
well
about Paige, since I did the entry on him in the _Mark Twain Encyclopedia_.
can't tell you how many rocks I turned over trying to find something as
seemingly simple as his date of death!  And I always felt frustrated by not
being able to find it.  So hats off to Barbara for doing so!  I'll have to
ask
her some time how she did it.

John Bird