Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:29:40 EDT
A friend, noting my screen name and other signs of love for Twain, sent me a
copy of "A Mammoth Cod," said to be delivered in the form of a speech.  The
photocopy has an introduction (no author given) that states a Gershon Leman,
former bibliographer for the Kinsey Institute dates this to March 1902.  He
says Legman traces this work to an invitation to an excusion from Thoms B.
Reed, former Speaker of the House, Laurence Hutton, editor of Harper's
Magazine, and Henry H. Rogers.  The citation is to Legman in "The Mammoth
Cod
and Address to the Stomach Club, published by Maledicta Press, Waukesha,
Wisc., 1976.
  The text is mostly in the form of a letter, with some verse.  I quote the
greeting, opening paragraph, and verse.  if this is Twain's, is there much
other erotica?  I was led to believe that other than the story of farting
(I've forgotten its name, and cannot find the source), Twain refrained from
the erotic or scatological:

Dear_____,
Yours, inviting me to join the excursion of the "Mammoth Cods" on the 29th
inst., is at hand.  Of course I thank you, for I know you only desire my
good;
but whether it will be from my good to always accept your invitations is a
question.  I have been led from the sweet simplicity of my ordinary life
into
questionable paths too often by accepting your invitations, not to make me
pause and consider when I receive one.  I do not understand the maeaning of
your Association, but I presume it expresses a peculiar quality in the
membership--that is to say, I presume it is an organization made up of
gentleman whom mistaken nature has endowed with private organs of size
superior to common mortals.  The word 'cod" is frequently used in ancient
literature to signify penis, and I take it that you use it in that sense.
In
a little poem that I wrote for the instruction of children, I used the word
in
the same way.  I give you a copy of it.  I wrote it to show the youth of the
country that animals do better by instinct than man does by reason, unless
it
is proper guided.  I intended it for the Sunday Schools and when sung by
hundreds of sweet, guileless children, it produces a very pretty effect.
I thank The for the Bull, O God!
Whene'er a steak I eat.
The working of his Mammoth Cod
Is what gives us our meat!
II
And for the ram a word of praise!
He with his Mammothe Cod
Foundation for our mutton lays
With every vigorous prod.
III
And then the Boar who, at his work,
His hind hoofs fixed in sod;
Contented, packs the Embryo Pork, all with his Mammothe Cod!
IV
Of beasts, man is the only one
Created by our God,
Who purposely, and for mere fun,