Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 09:04:55 -0400
This is one of those questions which would ordinarily be ignored because
the answer is readily available from such sources as _Mark Twain A-Z_ and
the Forum archives.  But these are not ordinarily times.  I am profoundly
grateful for any attempt -- no matter how futile -- to divert the Forum's
attention to something directly related to Mark Twain.  So here goes.

"The Mammoth Cod" was probably written by Petroleum V. Nasby.  Twain's
"fart" story is "1601."  My favorite is "Some Thoughts on the Science of
Onanism," available in Fatout's _M.T.'s Speeches_, written in the days when
masterbation was more than mental.

Thanks again for the -- probably temporary -- diversion to questions
concerning Mark Twain.

larry marshburne

p.s. I'm not opposed to the discussions which have commanded so much
recent attention.  They're important enough to be on a listserve of their
own.  I, of course, would not subscribe to such a listserve and am
blissfully unaware of whether one already exists.  (It's hard to believe
that it was last month when I apologized for keeping a thread alive which
was actually about a Twain work.  We seem to have more tolerance for posts
not directly related to Twain.) I'm hesitant now to press the key to send
this post.  I dread reading the arguments pro-and-con which may soon be
added to the Forum archives.  No wonder people can't find the answers to
repeatedly asked questions by perusing the archives.