From:
David Dussere <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 00:43:10 EDT
I recently did a M.T. course and found problems not only with selecting
editions but also with trying to include important, representative works of
Twain AND criticism. How to do all this in one semester without expecting
"too
much" from students? My solution was to use the Norton Critical editions of
Huck Finn ($10.75), Connecticut Yankee ($15.75), and Pudd'nhead Wilson
($12.75).  I chose not to use the good editions from the M.T. Library and
that
was probably a mistake. Innocents Abroad, Roughing It, and Life on the
Mississippi have inexpensive NAL editions. A good buy is Neider's Complete
Short Stories of M.T. (Bantam, $6.50), but it includes the Paine version of
Mysterious Stranger. There are also a few other collections of short stories
out there, but they don't have as many selections in them or cost more
money.
The best I could do for Twain's later writings was De Voto's  Letters from
the
Earth ($12.50).  I found myself xeroxing material as well as it became
necessary to clarify and illustrate points about Twain.  Good luck and have
fun talking about Twain.

david dussere