From:
L T Oggel/FS/VCU <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:51:57 -0400
Same for me--I want to add my thanks, too.  In any event as large and with
as many diverse components as this one, a number of problems undoubtedly
arose.  But they were handled quietly, behind the scenes, so that what we
saw was only smoothness and grace.  I at least never saw even a hint of a
delay or a disruption or confusion or frustration.

For Barb the greatest compliment must have been the one that came from
Gretchen Sharlow--who from the podium said that at this conference Barb
had set a new standard for excellence.  Coming from the previous director,
how personally gratifying must that have been for Barb.

Maybe this is just me, but it struck me this week that the tone of the
conference is really healthy.  In my experience the atmosphere's not the
same at other academic conferences.  I've been trying to figure out why.
It might be the inclusiveness of the conference, which goes beyond
acceptance of each other's ideas in a presentation to a general
unprejudiced appreciation for all good topics and views, coming from
wherever--graduate students, new comers, veterans, international
attendees, people from small teaching-centered schools and from large
research schools, from high schools.   A healthy respect all around,
extending also to the recognition of all that was done by the various
"staffs."  I know it was appreciated by Barb's staff, and by those
preparing and serving the food, and by others who helped make everyone
feel welcome and comfortable.  They said so.  There's an unpretentious
classlessness in the air, it seems to me, that makes breathing easier. And
there are other ways it's shown--the overall cordiality, the banter and
raillery, the casual dress, the sing-alongs, the cigar events, the outdoor
tent-picnic at the end.   Maybe this tone stems from Twain himself--that
is, what's best about him.  So maybe what we prize about the conference is
personal as well as intellectual--maybe his best brings out the best in
us?   (I refer to the "best about Twain" because he could be a rude,
thoughtless, self-centered SOB at times, too.  This is respect, but not
idolatry.)   If we look among us for people who reflect that "best,"
surely one of them would be Lou Budd--deep substantiality cloaked in
fairness, honesty and self-effacing modesty.  I've learned much from him,
and I don't mean just about Twain but about how to behave in print and in
the profession.  I was surely glad he was there this time.  We should all
accomplish so much and wear it so gracefully.

Anyway, the conference was a marvelous event, intellectually and socially.
 Others have said the other things I would say, so no need to repeat and
duplicate.  I look forward to the next one in 2013.

Meanwhile, there will be a one-day symposium next year in Elmira, in
October, on MT as traveler and as travel writer, with special emphasis on
A Tramp Abroad (1880) and Following the Equator (1897).  More later about
that.  Hope to see you all there.

Terry Oggel (VCU--Richmond)