From:
"Willet, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:40:49 -0400
                Joan,

                Maybe some more background will help 'prove it,' or at
least indicate the direction we want to move in.

                The function of the Clearinghouse's first operational
centre, in Toronto, is to provide logistical and technical support for
our distributed network of affiliate partners. Future plans include the
establishment of two additional operational centres.

                Each affiliate partner will be responsible for resource
identification and qualification for a specific group, issue or region.
These contractors will be charged with connecting with regional and
local networks, and recruiting the associate partners/information
providers.  Affiliate partners will identify network gaps at the
national, regional and local levels, and identify organizations that
require assistance in making their resources more widely available.

                We're currently working with 24 organizations to
identify candidates for Clearinghouse partnerships and prove the concept
of this approach to decentralized network mapping and capacity
development.  This initial exercise has resulted in in-depth interviews
with 1,200 organizations from across the country and is an indication of
the Clearinghouse's commitment to build a network capable of supporting
local health promotion action.  When the reports of the current
contracts are in, we would be happy to provide you with the list of
organizations we hope will agree to form the first band of our network.