From:
Cathy Crowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:49:05 -0400
This is my first time posting to the list, so excuse me if this is totally
irrelevant. We all watched the media and expressed alarm in 1996 when three
homeless men died on the streets of Toronto. An inquest followed, known as
the "freezing death inquest". To date neither the Coroner's office in
Toronto nor any other body has been committed to track homeless deaths and
make them public. To date, no federal, provincial or muncipal level of
government has the mandate or responsibility to respond to homelessness by
creating housing and supports.In this regard the "freezing death" inquest
jury recommendations have been ignored.

People should know that the following homeless men and women died since
August in Toronto:
Stanley Peterson, an elderly wheelchair bound man who was known around the
Tim Horton's near Ryerson, Wally Neshkewe, outside of Scott mission, Garnett
Smoke, east end Toronto, Linda Houston, in North York, Al Voicey, downtown
Toronto, Mary Louise Sharrow (body found in Don Valley), Aligator Al in
hospital, Mansour at a downtown hostel.

These are only the deaths I am aware of. Without doubt there are more. The
Ontario Coalition Against Poverty has launched a "Death Watch Committee"
which will ensure that any future death does not remain unnoticed.