Sender:
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:46:32 -0400
To: hplink <[log in to unmask]>
"It is one of the greatest contemporary social injustices that people who
live in the most disadvantaged circumstances have more illnesses, more
disability and shorter lives than those who are more affluent." - Benzeval,
Judge & Whitehead, 1995, pxxxi. Tackling Inequalities in Health: An Agenda
for Action.

City of Calgary, Community & Neighbourhood Services South Area Office in
partnership with ACAP-Calgary, Calgary & District Labour Council, and
Disability Action Hall will be hosting a Community Forum on Poverty and
Health on November 5th at Carpenters Hall. The agenda will be as follows:

5:30 p.m.
Free community dinner

6:30 to 7:15 p.m.
Key note speaker: Dr. Dennis Raphael: Dr. Dennis Raphael from the School of
Health Policy and Management at York University will share his work around
poverty as a key social determinant of health, and consider how health
policy continues to ignore poverty and social exclusion as very significant
health determinants.

7:15 to 8:30 p.m.
Discussion: During discussion, we will share our experiences of how poverty
affects health, consider how people living in poverty can strengthen their
collective voice in speaking out about poverty in our community, and how
people in poverty can ally with social and health services to move forward
on a pro-health and anti-poverty agenda.

This free event will be of particular interest to those interested in
poverty issues, including people living in poverty and their allies. We
would very much appreciate your assistance in spreading the word about this
event.

Poverty Makes Me Sick
Wednesday, November 5, 2003
Carpenters Hall, 301 - 10th Street NW