Sender:
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:16:15 -0500
Jenny Wells <[log in to unmask]>
cc: [log in to unmask]

Dear Ms. Wells:

I enjoyed reading the Danish monograph on trans-fats and health.  Thank you
again for forwarding it to me.

I still feel the evidence is thin.  Even if proven the magnitude of effects
upon health appear to be minimal . The NURSES study had coronary heart
disease rates that are VERY much lower than that seen in the general
population indicating that generalizability to the population at large is
weak. Also the magnitude of effects could clearly be explained by many
other factors such as working and employment conditions or income if these
data were collected. Many other studies produced no relationship.

We are probably better off without transfats.  Recall that these became
popular only because the "scientific community" and the media warned
everyone off butter and dairy products  And of course now we know (from the
NURSES study among others) that saturated fats have no effect of coronary
heart disease rates and mortality!

Contrast the magnitude of the POSSIBLE effects of trans-fats with the KNOWN
effects of income and income distribution upon heart disease and diabetes.
Why is there NO coverage of these issues by CTV and the Globe and Mail?

Could ideological and political considerations (who owns CTV and the G and
M? ) be entering into the lack of mention of these health issues?

Just asking.   Also consider visiting my website for LOTS more.

Have a happy holiday season.

Dennis

Dennis Raphael, PhD
Associate Professor and Undergraduate Program Director
School of Health Policy and Management
Atkinson Faculty of Liberal and Professional Studies
York University
4700 Keele Street
Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3
tel: 416-736-2100, ext. 22134