Sender:
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:05:53 -0500
To: "Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]> cc: [log in to unmask]
Did anyone hear Terry Sullivan comment on the fruit and vegetable needs of
the 800,000 Canadians using food banks each month?

Dennis

"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>@list.web.net on 12/18/2003 08:57:28
AM

Sent by:    [log in to unmask]

To:    [log in to unmask]
cc:

Subject:    [heart-l] FW: CCO in the news: Nutrition and cancer prevention

Summary of news coverage on the relationship of diet and nutrition to
cancer
risk. From Cancer Care Ontario.

At a news conference Tuesday, Cancer Care Ontario released the findings of
the Ontario Nutrition and Cancer Prevention Survey. The media event drew
considerable media interest.

The full report may be found at the Cancer Care Ontario Web site
(www.cancercare.on.ca).

Ontario-wide nutrition survey provides comprehensive picture of
diet-related
cancer risk factors - Ontario adults not meeting minimum recommendations

Toronto (December 16, 2003) - Ontario residents are eating too few
vegetables and fruits and are missing out on their cancer fighting
benefits,
according to the results of a new survey completed by Cancer Care Ontario.

The Ontario Nutrition and Cancer Prevention Survey, the first survey of its
kind in recent history, also shows that Ontario adults are not meeting
recommended levels of daily physical activity or maintaining healthy body
weight levels.
A large body of research confirms that up to one-third of cancers could be
prevented with increased vegetable and fruit consumption, increased
physical
activity and maintenance of health body weight. This is comparable to the
number of cancers that could be prevented through the elimination of the
use
of tobacco products. ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20031217/CANCE

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=c7afeb70-ba
> 66-4549-a288-f9ee592cf378
>

> Diet crucial in cutting cancer risk
> Exercise, weight loss also important factors
> Province urged to spotlight issue, like tobacco fight
> By Elaine Carey, Toronto Star
>
> Ontarians could cut their risk of cancer by a third simply by eating more
> fruits and vegetables, getting more exercise and maintaining a healthy
> body weight.
>
> That's comparable to the number of cancer cases that could be prevented
by
> eliminating tobacco, officials of Cancer Care Ontario said yesterday.
>
> A survey by the organization found almost half of Ontario adults are
> either overweight or obese, and get less than the minimum recommended
> three hours of exercise a week.
>
> (click below for more)

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Art

icle_Type1&c=Article&cid=1071616211965&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1843&ncid=1843&e=6&u=/cpre

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1071587632938_55///?hu