From:
NIAAA Promotions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:52:42 -0700
Alcohol and Aging

The latest Alcohol Alert bulletin published by the National Institute
on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) focuses on alcohol and the
elderly.

As our older population increases, the diagnosis and treatment of
alcohol related problems becomes more important.   Studies conducted
in health care settings have found an increasing prevalence of
alcoholism among the elderly.  Because alcohol related consequences
are often mistaken by health care professionals for other conditions
related to aging, segments of this population may go undiagnosed,
untreated, or treated inappropriately.  For more details please see
NIAAA's Alcohol Alert #40- Alcohol and Aging at the Institute's web
site: http://www.niaaa.nih.gov

The direct address for Alcohol Alert #40: Alcohol and Aging is:
http://silk.nih.gov/silk/niaaa1/publication/aa40.htm

Alcohol Alerts are a quarterly publication series that provide an
authoritative and timely review of alcohol research and treatment for
health practitioners, educators, researchers, and the public. To view
a complete list of other bulletins in this series please visit the
publications area of NIAAA's web site and click the "Alcohol Alert"
link.

As the lead Federal Agency conducting and supporting research in the
alcohol field, NIAAA is committed to providing information to the
researchers, prevention and treatment professionals, as well as the
general public.  To learn more about NIAAA visit:
http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/

Ordering Information:
To order single copies of any Alcohol Alert, or to place yourself on
it's FREE mailing list, fill out the on-line order form:
http://silk.nih.gov/silk/niaaa1/publication/alalerts.htm#online_request

Bulk quantities of this publication are available by writing to:

NIAAA Publication Distribution Center
P.O. Box 10686
Rockville, MD 20849-0686
Cost: FREE

Please feel free to forward this announcement to your colleagues and
other listservs. Because the Alcohol Alert is in the public domain, it
may be summarized, or reprinted without permission from NIAAA.
However, should you decide to help NIAAA publicize "Alcohol and Aging"
through such an announcement or its reprinting, please inform me so
that I can track the success of our efforts accurately.

If you wish to discuss other ways that you can help  disseminate this
important information please contact:

Christopher Mohan
Marketing Coordinator
NIAAA's Alcohol Research Collection, Analysis, and Dissemination
(ARCAD) project
1400 Eye Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005
202-842-7600