From:
David Burman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:03:53 -0400
A thorough comparison of software for qualitative analysis is found in :

Even Weitzman and Mathew Miles (1995) Computer Analysis for Qualitative Data
Analysis, London: Sage.

The authors compare the better known software packages for ease of use,
quality
of analysis, ability to manipulate data and theorize, but more importantly,
their aim is to help readers determine their computing needs and find a
suitable match.

Chapter headings include: "what kind of computer user are you? Are you
choosing
for one project or for the next few years? What kind of database and
project is
it? What kind fo analysis is anticipated?" etc.

Program reviews are categorized as: Text retrievers, Textbase managers, Code
and retrieve programs, code based theory builders, and conceptual network
builders.

Overall, a very useful guide to choosing the right kind of program for
qualitative analysis.

David Burman
University of Toronto