From:
Diana Daghofer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:05:56 -0800
The CPS advocacy report "Are We Doing Enough" was issued today (
<http://www.cps.ca/English/Advocacy/StatusReport.htm>
http://www.cps.ca/English/Advocacy/StatusReport.htm). Among the society's
concerns are health equity. As per the Globe & Mail (national edition, not
found on-line):
"The report also suggests the federal government should invest more in
programs to promote the health and education of the country's youngest
citizens.

"Canada lags far behind most wealthy western nations and is ranked last in
terms of support for family policy and early child development," CPS
president Jean-Yves Frappier said, citing an OECD ranking of 37 countries.

The CPS says Ottawa, along with the provincial and territorial governments,
needs to implement programs aimed at reducing the economic disparities in
Canada, where 700,000 of the country's five million children live in
poverty.

"And we really believe that child poverty rates should be as important an
economic indicator as interest rates, inflation rates and unemployment
rates," Dr. Lynk said. "Because a lot of those kids, if we don't help them,
they're going to be destined as adults to living on the margins as well."

Diana
Diana Daghofer
Wellspring Strategies Inc.
Rossland, BC