From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:34:54 -0400
http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/03/23/stuck-in-the-middle/

As Canadians, we love our health care system to death. But in fact health
care systems around the world?be they publicly or privately funded and all
the variations in between?are but one part of the complex web of social
supports and personal and governmental decisions that determine our life
course. Health care may be a misnomer, and we have an effective?if
expensive??illness care system? to mend us when we break, as many
participants noted during the town hall meetings staged this winter by
Maclean?s and the CMA in Winnipeg and Hamilton. But set Canada against its
peers?the world?s wealthiest democracies?and we are at best a middling
performer when it comes to health outcomes. Many blame a waning concern
for creating the living and working conditions that maintain healthy
lives.