Sender:
From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 21:25:34 -0400
Sherrie Tingley

----------
> From: David Seedhouse <[log in to unmask]>

> `Some of the foundations which make up health are of the highest
> importance for all people.  These are:
>
> 1.      The basic needs of food, drink, shelter, warmth and purpose in
> life.

David,

How do we define "basic needs"?   In Canada we used to think that having
the ability to participate within the community above shelter and food was
important, we measured poverty by looking at what everyone had and setting
a line. "Using family expenditure data, the LICO is set at the point where
families, on average, spend 20% more of their income than
the average family on food, clothing, and shelter. The low-income cut-offs
vary by the size of the family unit and the population
of the area of residence. "

see; What is Poverty

http://www.napo-onap.ca/nr-what.htm

We have seen a shift in Canada, where we seem to find it acceptable that if
people have basic shelter and food (even if it is emergency or inadequate
and food from food banks or feeding programs)  then that is okay.  This at
a time when our economy grew.

Many of us feel that it important to move towards  rights claiming under
our Charter of Rights and Freedoms and under the Covenant on Social,
Economic and Cultural Rights.

I do not feel "basic" is enough of a foundation.  I prefer the covenant
language "the right of everyone to an adequate standard of living for
himself and his family, including adequate food, clothing and housing, and
to the continuous improvement of living conditions."

Anyway that is enough from me, lets hear from others,

Information on Canada and the CSECR

Canada will be reviewed in November of this year, when they were last
reviewed in 1993 the committee condemned the government for it's abuses of
it's citizens' human rights:

12. In view of the obligation arising out of article 2 of the Covenant to
apply the maximum of available resources to the
progressive realization of the rights recognized in the treaty, and
considering Canada's enviable situation with regard to such
resources, the Committee expresses concern about the persistence of poverty
in Canada. There seems to have been no
measurable progress in alleviating poverty over the last decade, nor in
alleviating the severity of poverty among a number of
particularly vulnerable groups.

26. The Committee recommends a concerted Government action to eliminate the
need for food banks.

http://www.hri.ca/uninfo/treaties/2.shtml

Each State Party to the present Covenant undertakes to take steps, ....with
a view to achieving
progressively the full realization of the rights recognized in the present
Covenant by all appropriate means, including particularly
the adoption of legislative measures.

Article 11

1. The States Parties to the present Covenant recognize the right of
everyone to an adequate standard of living for himself and
his family, including adequate food, clothing and housing, and to the
continuous improvement of living conditions. The States
Parties will take appropriate steps to ensure the realization of this
right, recognizing to this effect the essential importance of
international co-operation based on free consent.

2. The States Parties to the present Covenant, recognizing the fundamental
right of everyone to be free from hunger, shall take,
individually and through international co-operation, the measures,
including specific programmes, which are needed: