CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Doris Hollett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in International Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:53:16 -0230
PAHO NEWS:  Press Releases, Job Vacancies, and Other
Information from the Pan American Health Organization
(PAHO) via the Canadian Society for International Health
(CSIH) [log in to unmask]; Technical Representative in
Canada for PAHO
Dr. Gro Harlem Brundtland takes up Office and Confirms
her Intention to "Make a Difference"
Dr. Gro Harlem Brundtland officially took up office
today as Director-General of the World Health
Organization (WHO). She takes over from Dr Hiroshi
Nakajima, who held the post for 10 years.

Addressing all WHO staff, at Geneva headquarters and in
the regional offices, by means of a teleconference
organized especially for this occasion, Dr. Brundtland
defined her line of action, recalling the firm intention
already announced in May during her speech to the World
Health Assembly, to "change the course of things" and to
"make a difference". She emphasized that "serving WHO is
a privilege", and went on to say, "We can help build
healthy communities and populations. We can combat ill-
health. We can do our part to combat poverty and
suffering. Nothing in life - as I see it - has more
meaning".

Dr Brundtland continued, "What we do here in Geneva and
in the regional offices matters very little if it does
not lead to a difference on the ground. It only matters
if in the end children get better access to care - if
health systems are better enabled to reverse the
HIV/AIDS pandemic, eradicate polio and roll back killers
such as malaria and TB - if we can help countries
address challenges as diverse as the threat from
tobacco, a rapidly ageing population or the all to often
neglected burden of mental illness".

"The impact of our efforts on the ground", she said, "is
sometimes hard to measure. WHO is not and will not
become a field agency. Our role is to give the best
advice - support and develop the best policies, trigger
and stimulate the best research".

In her speech to the staff of WHO, Dr Brundtland
stressed that the new proposed structure would "give us
the right start". She added "but no model is carved out
in stone. We will learn as we go - being open to
suggestions and ideas".

CSIH Offers Internships for Youth
(Ver la traduccion al espanol a continuacion.)
Within the framework of the federal government's Youth
Employment Strategy, the Canadian Society for
International Health is offering international health
internships for recent graduates and undergraduates who
are planning a career in health. The Department of
Foreign Affairs and International Trade and the Canadian
International Development Agency provide funding for
these internships.

Contact us if you are a Canadian citizen and have an
educational background in medicine, social sciences,
biological sciences, health administration, dentistry,
nursing, economics or another health discipline and are
interested in acquiring experience abroad. Selection for
internships will take place between July 1998 and
September 30, 1998.

Please check the Website for a complete list of
internships: http://www.csih.org/yintern.html

La SCSI ofrece pasantias para jovenes
Dentro del marco de la Estrategia de Empleo para los
Jovenes, la Sociedad Canadiense para la Salud
Internacional, (SCSI), ofrece pasantias en Salud
Internacional para los jovenes recientemente graduados
que planeen una carrera en salud. El Departamento de
Asuntos Extranjeros y de Comercio Internacional (DAECI)
y la Agencia Canadiense de Desarrollo Internacional
(ACDI), proveen los fondos para ello.

Si usted tiene ciudadania canadiense y una formacion
academica en medicina, biologia, ciencias sociales,
administracion de la salud, odontologia, economia de la
salud, enfermeria u otra disciplina relacionada con la
salud, comuniquese con nosotros.

Consulte nuestro sitio en internet para obtener la lista
de pasantias disponibles:
http://www.csih.org/yintern.html

This document is available, with full formatting and
accents, at http://www.csih.org/paho_ndx.html