From:
theresa schumilas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 23:03:02 -0400

I think it would be very interesting to get some perspectives from this
list's members on exactly what we mean by "globalization", in order to
explore the themes you raise.

From my own view, I think what we are talking about is corporatization not
globalization.  (I also think this is yet another example of "hiding"
consolidation of power and wealth behind a very "friendly" term like
globalization.)  In my own practice, health promotion has always seemed very
global (in terms of networks, links, exchanges, ...)  The Public Health
aspect of health promotion work in particular, has always been highly
networked globally.   But, I don't think thats what we are really meaning
now.    I think the newer experience is with the increasing corporate
dominance and concentration of wealth (globally).  The most obvious way I
experience this in my own practice is in  watching the outflow of capital
(human and monetary) from the communities with which I work, thereby making
local development efforts increasingly fragile. I wonder if  this is a
global trend in health promotion practice, shared by those who work in
developing and "developed" (and I use the term sarcastically) countries.

Theresa Schumilas
Director, Family and Community Resources
Waterloo Regional Community Health Department
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

[log in to unmask] (home)
[log in to unmask] (work)