From:
Jean-Marc Dupont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 15:53:29 -0500
I appreciated very much having access to Alison Stirling's
bookmarks as per her announcement on Click4HP.  Her and I
have discussed quite a bit over the past year or two how
best to share with others the list of bookmarks we have
each shared and developed over time.

I am currently working on dramatically renovating my Web site
and was wondering how best to make my bookmarks available as
well.  Thanks Alison for Just Doing It! as the expression goes.

I have seen so many meta-directories on different topics I think
I am starting to go blind :-)  Without question, Alison sharing
her great list of bookmarks will help many get started and point
them in the right direction.  However, I am now asking myself if I
should do the same or not.

I was planning on having part of my Web site be a similar list,
with similar categories.  Would this be overkill?  It's not
that it would require a lot of work.  Compared to the mounting of
the rest of my site, listing the bookmarks would be relatively
easy, although still a little time consuming.  I am just wondering
how much of a resource it would be if it already exists?

Would it be possible and would there be interest in joining
together with Alison and expanding her list?  I assume this is
do-able technologically speaking.  Perhaps we could build a larger
list where those of us who have sites could link to.  Perhaps
keeping it as simple as possible would help toom, such as just
emailing "additions" to Alison's original list to a student who
could cross-check them, determine their relevance and add them.
Just an idea of course.

There are probably as many disadvantages as advantages to this, not
least of which is the varying understandings people have of seemingly
simple concepts such as health promotion, sustainability, community
development, etc.

I guess what I'm getting at is how feasible would it be to launch
the development of an ever-growing bookmark site?  I for one, would
be more than happy to share my list as well.  And thanks again
Alison.

JM Dupont

***
Jean-Marc Dupont
Principle Consultant - Community Systems Associates
National Contact - Canadian Healthy Communities Network
Facilitator - act.kids.ca  (Web Networks Public Newsgroup)

119 York Street, 3rd Floor
Ottawa, ON K1N 5T4 Canada
Tel:  +613.241.8755
Fax:  + 613 241.8846