From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:01:39 -0400
in regards to :   http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/phdd/docs/healthy/

Interesting point,  last night in class I presented Renee Lyon's expanded
concept of lifestyle.  The reaction
from students, many of which health professionals who work in community heath
promotion was:

1. the predominant view in the field continues to be "Why do you not change your
unhealthy behaviours? Stupid!"
This message is magnified by the media, and our federal and provincial elected
representatives --- see Health
Minister's Ann McClelland recent comments about how obese people are ruining our
health care system.
2.  in order to incorporate the concept of determinants of health and community
participation, the lifestyle concept had
become so stretched as to make the concept unmanageable.
3. in the face of the regressive policy changes that are underway in Canada, the
concept diverts attention from environmental
issues that make possible the existence of healthy lifestyle.
4.  Is using a food banks a lifestyle issue?  I speak tonight at the meeting of
the Ontario Food Bank Association.

dennis