From:
Peter O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:25:12 -0400
Cheryl,

Although I haven't developed the particular self-assessment you're
looking for, I've done a lot of instructional design for skill
acquisition where obtaining such measures is important. One of the key
challenges of designing these self-assessments is that the participants,
by virtue of completing the training, are then better able to appraise
their skills realistically. Some instructional design research has
shown, for example, that self-ratings may actually go down at the
completion of training, as participants realize that their initial
assessments were inflated.

One way around this is to use a 'post-post' comparison approach. I first
saw this used very effectively in a number of training programs
developed by Xerox Learning Systems (now Learning International.) The
basic approach is to define a list of all of the specific skills, plus
an item for overall skill improvement), and ask participants to rate
both their pre- and post-intervention performance on each. If you want
to get fancy, you can use multiple measures for each item. For example,
ask for pre- and post- ratings of 'knowledge', 'application', and
'confidence.' With the intervention you're planning, you might find that
there is little increase in basic knowledge of the skills, but you would
hope to see clear evidence of more effective application, and an
increase in confidence as a result of working in a more 'disciplined'
way.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Peter O'Donnell, President, Healthy Futures Group
2650 Lindholm Crescent, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada  L5M 4P4
Ph: 905.569.8474  Fax: 416.946.1348  Email: