From:
Michel O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 07:59:33 -0500
*** Hi Alison.

On a closely related topic, the BMJ (2002, 325:1496-98) has also a
very interesting paper written by the CRAP writing group (Clinicians
for the restoration of autonomous practice...) and titled
EBM[Evidence based medicine]:unmasking the ugly truth, which
denounces with typical English humour the "religion" of EBM from the
perspective of clinicians.

More seriously, on the Canadian scene, the Canadian consortium of
Health Promotion Research
http://www.utoronto.ca/chp/chp/consort/index.htm has written, under
the pen of Suzanne Jackson et al., a wonderful paper on the issues
linked to the fad of evidence based health promotion; it can be
downloaded at
http://www.utoronto.ca/chp/chp/consort/workingpapers.htm and reviews
in a critical manner most of the current canandian and international
inititatives ( including the Cochrane connection and the UK
initiativs alluded to below) to assess the effectiveness of health
promotion practices. The consortium is supposed to undertake soon a
major review of the effectiveness of communiuty projects in Canada.
Co-chairs of the consortium are Irving Rootman <[log in to unmask]> and
Marcia Hills <[log in to unmask]>, both at the University of Victoria.

On the international scene, WHO and the International Union of Health
Promotion and Education (IUHPE) http://www.iuhpe.org have recently
launched a major international project called the Global Health
Promotion Effectiveness Project (GHPEP), whereby each of the
"regions" (read here continents) of WHO-IUHPE will contribute a
piece. The North American one will be led by Irving Rootman.

Michel O'Neill. ***

--
Michel O'Neill, Ph.D.

Adresse Postale: Faculte des Sciences infirmieres; 4108-J Pavillon
Paul-Comtois, Universite Laval, Quebec, Qc, Canada, G1K 7P4.
Localisation de mon nouveau bureau: Faculte des Sciences infirmieres;
1038-F Pavillon Lacerte, Universite Laval, Quebec, Qc, Canada, G1K
7P4.
tel: +1-(418)-656-2131 #7431; telecopieur: +1-(418)-656-7825
Courrier electronique: [log in to unmask]