From:
Charles Tedesco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 07:26:53 -0800
Since we all want to see an end to smoking, have some compassion this
week for those who are taking a shot at stopping smoking during the
American Cancer Society-sponsored Great American Smokeout.  The attached
article may provoke you to be more tolerant this week with recent
ex-smokers.  It points out something we all share to some degree with
people who smoke.
A version of the same article directed specifically to smokers is
available at http://www.sra1.com/cgi-bin/sd/sra/thoughtofmonth.cgi

....and in other formats upon request.
Both are non-copyrighted and for free distribution.

Smoking Out Self-Deception

by Charles Tedesco

  The Great American Smokeout on November 20th isn’t just something for
smokers.  Yes, the annual event sponsored by the American Cancer Society
is designed to help smokers give it up.  But there’s some wisdom in it
for everyone, whether they smoke or not.
  It’s about a national malady that goes far beyond those who smoke.
Whether you’re hooked on cigarettes or not, chances are high that you
have been a victim of this sickness.    If you don’t smoke, filter the
following article with an awareness of anything you do repeatedly that
you do not want to do.  Most of us are addicted to something.
  The first and most important step in recovery from any addiction is
simply knowing that you are addicted.  Rather than acknowledge it, most
people prefer to engage in something called self-deception.  And that is
the sickness that keeps so many from reaching their potential.

Now that the American tobacco companies have admitted to their long-term
deception about the dangers of tobacco smoking , here’s a question to
ask yourself: if you smoke: Which has influenced your smoking the
most--that deception or your own self-deception?"
  As a smoking cessation coach and as a researcher of cessation methods
and products over the past 16 years, I’ve experienced not only the lies
of those who sell tobacco but also the lies we tell ourselves when
postponing the decision to make a change in our lives.  My purpose in
this article is to explore these self-deceptions and to show you how you
can start to rise above them in the process of claiming an
addiction-free lifestyle.

  One of the deceptions that impacts smokers the most is that there are
pills, tapes, books or gurus available that will allow one to stop
smoking quickly, easily, and painlessly.  This is a myth, one that is
swallowed hook, line and sinker by many smokers.  The makers of nicotine
patches and gums imply that with just a little will power and their
product, its a cakewalk to become smoke-free.
   The fact is that, for the vast majority of smokers, stopping and
staying free requires commitment,  some work and a willingness to take
responsibility for themselves.  Most smokers who say that they want to
quit are not willing to pay that price.
  In the spiritual ways of the Native American people, the medicine or
lesson of the coyote has to do with deception and self-deception.  In
trying to fool others and in refusing to look inside for answers, coyote
often paves the way for his own undoing.
  Take a look at the cartoon character, Wile E. Coyote who likes to
think he’s pretty smart.  In his quest to conquer Roadrunner (beep!
beep!), his carelessness and refusal to see reality always leads to a
swift, crashing trip to the bottom of the canyon---a trip he had
envisioned for Roadrunner.  Like many smokers, coyote can convince
himself that a skunk smells like a rose.
  He continually perfects the art of self-sabotage.  This is how he
thinks: "Let me get out on the edge of that ledge again.  It's the same
place I've fallen from every time I've gone there.  But this time will
be different."
  Do you keep falling into the same traps over and over again?
  If you’re a "closet smoker" , do you really think that people don’t
pick up on your aroma after you’ve ducked outside for a secretive
cigarette?  Here’s big news—and I’ll say it gently:You don’t smell very
good.
  While the tobacco company executives are finally acknowledging the
addictive nature of their products, very few smokers do.  Its easier to
look at it as a habit, or just something to do out of boredom.  The
truth: it is an addiction just as much as the use of heroin or cocaine.
 Its been said that you can’t escape a prison until you understand that
you’re in one.  Anytime that you feel you must do something that you do
not want to do, you’re imprisoned.
  The Russian mystic-philosopher Gurdjieff suggested that most people go
through their lives "asleep".  Unconscious of their true selves, to the
meaning of their lives, people generally do not want to awaken to life’s
realities.  Its much more comfortable to avoid confronting ourselves.
An example: "If I say its just a habit, its just a habit. I'm no
addict."
  We can perpetuate our "sleep" with television, alcohol, tobacco, or
recreational drugs.  Its easy.  It is the trick we play on ourselves.
And yet it is also an abandoning of  our true selves.  That is the price
of our self-deception.
  Another little trick: "Cancer just happens to other people."  Who are
you fooling?
  Most smokers are also unaware of the additives in cigarettes.  When
you smoke, you get carcinogens, mutagens and radioactivity inhaled into
your body.  Popular-brand cigarette papers contain selenious acid,
something that Webster’s Dictionary calls a "colorless, poisonous
powder".
  Most smokers don’t want to hear it.  A sample reply: "My grandpa
smoked till he was 96."
  Another self-deception is the attitude that smoking is the only weight
management tool that works.  Have you told yourself that if you stop
smoking you will gain weight and then be unattractive?  Your heart has
had to work harder to deal with the smoke.  A couch potato smoker does
burn more calories than a non-smoking couch potato. Its true that your
metabolism will slow down briefly after you stop smoking, making it
easier to gain weight--especially if if you have no dietary or exercise
routines.  As you probably guessed, some dietary and exercise changes
are highly suggested when you stop smoking. (See your doctor first, of
course.)  Be patient with yourself.
  "But it is so much more convenient to just keep smoking."
  Maybe there have been times you've said this to yourself: "I am going
to quit smoking when my spouse isn't so moody (or the boss treats me
better).
If you wait for your life to be carefree before you stop smoking, you'll
be six feet under and still waiting.
  Here's a simple, key fact that most smokers ignore: What you eat
affects how you think, what you crave and how good you feel.  And there
are lots of people who think the best way to indulge yourself when
you’ve got the blues is to down a pint of ice cream.  Does that make any
sense?
  Many smokers use their cigarettes (and ice cream) as mood managers.
The big lie is that cigarettes can help end a bad mood or create a good
one.  Reality says that while you may get a short-term boost in energy
or mood, cigarettes are a depressant which also injure the body and
deplete you of energy and thinking ability.  Less than 20 minutes after
you butt out a cigarette,  your tension level starts going up as your
body starts to beg for another nicotine fix.
  Many smokers who make the commitment to quit tell themselves that it
must be done right away.  For most, the odds of long-term success are
greatly enhanced by careful planning, support and the commitment to
specific actions and boundaries.
  The self-deception that goes with any addiction is something you can
choose to release.  Your biggest step in letting go is to simply decide
to be honest with yourself.  Each time you choose to do that, you take
another important step in empowering yourself. And that's no lie.
Charles Tedesco is a Smoking Cessation Coach with Smoking Release
Associates in Carlsbad, California.  His company’s web site address is
http://www.SRA1.com

--
Charles Tedesco, Smoking Cessation Coach    http://www.SRA1.com
The Stop Smoking Program Designed for You   Smoking Release Associates