From:
Cathy Crowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 13:27:21 -0500
Hello all. I'm a "street nurse" for those of you who don't know me and work
in downtown Toronot. You are having an interesting discussion. In the
meantime I need your help. If any of you are following the Rooster Squat
situation in Toronto (25-30 homeless youth in squat facing eviction, now
trailers are being renovated for them on the site..see Globe and Mail story
January 9) there is a way you could help. A serious public health risk
continues there (apart from the PCBs) which is the lack of toilet
facilities.  Yesterday I phoned and wrote to the new acting Medical Officer
of Health for Toronto, Dr. Sheela Basrur (phone 469-8540, fax 461-8564) to
appeal to her and Dr. McKeowen to take the public health measure of ordering
a city department to install a portable toilet. Any phone calls, or faxes to
Dr. Basrur by you folks would be appreciated. In this case health promotion
means fighting for warmth, toilet facilities and clean water. Thank you. My
work fax is 703-6190 if you want to send me a copy of any letter  you do.
Cathy Crowe