From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:33:46 -0400
----------
> From: Tricia Wilkerson <[log in to unmask]>

> Hi Sherrie,
> Good comment.  You're right - books that simply talk about smoking and
the
> affects of smoking won't address the other important issues for young
women
> - such as the need to be attractive to the opposite sex.  I think that I
> made the common error of putting on my tobacco hat, jumping to the task
at
> hand and blocking out other considerations.

Well it took me a while to know what it was that was "wrong" with your
request.  That is why we have this space to work in, so we can all learn
from each other and maybe work better.

> I was hoping that there would be books that talk about these issues in
> relation to tobacco - ones that tie in self esteem, body image and
tobacco
> (or substance abuse).  Maybe this is a "naive wish list".
> I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have for books that do
have
> strong women heroes that have success.

I will pass on the question to some of the teachers that are on the
Citizens for Education list and see if I get anything back, I forget your
timeline for this.  One thing I noticed was that the new Ontario wide
health curriculum came down after the teachers had finished and left for
the summer, I have already given a number of copies to the teachers that I
know personally.  So I wonder if teachers will need a copy or if they will
need resource material that relates to the new curriculum, it cane be found
at:

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/document/curricul/health/healthe.html

When the Barrie Action Committee for Women undertook a "role modeling"
project we produced a resource for classroom teachers for grades K-8 and
also trained volunteers to go into the schools in a way that was
appropriate to those grade levels, thus it was a support for teachers.  We
also participated in professional development activities again providing
resources that could be integrated into the curriculum.

Perhaps it would
> have been more appropriate to have asked the people working on this
project
> to simply find children's literature that would be appropriate to suggest
> our local schools as ones that promote "health" - and then to combine and
> note duplication - instead of trying to package them up.
> Thanks for your insight and honesty,

Well thank you Tricia,  I will get back to you with the book ideas,

Sherrie Tingley