From:
Eberhard Wenzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 20:32:14 +1000
Dear colleagues,

have I missed something? Jonathan Mann died in the crash of Swissair
111. One of the world's leading public health advocates is dead. A
man of sound principles and beliefs, well, that's how I know him.

One of his last comments reads like this:

"There is a crisis of identity in public health. To ensure
conditions in which people can be healthy we must work to change the
underlying societal conditions. Public health has rarely been able to
go beyond pointing at these larger issues, such as poverty, economic
globalisation, and lack of political will."

I decided to dedicate the WWW Virtual Library: Public Health to his
memory.

I am sad.

Eberhard Wenzel MA PhD
Griffith University
School of Public Health
Deputy Director, Queensland Centre for Public Health
Nathan, Qld. 4111
Australia
Tel.: 61-7-3875 7103
Fax:  61-7-3875 6709
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW Virtual Library Public Health at:
    http://www.ldb.org/vl/index.htm

Social evolution may be the result of intention,
but it rarely, if ever, produces the result intended.
Rene Dubos