From:
Anne Cogdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 10:23:20 -0400
Dear Click4HP colleagues,
I am putting a general call out to you for assistance.  I am
interested in procuring training materials that our program (Heart
Health Nova Scotia) can use in our dissemination research phase.

Our research is taking place in one health region of the province and
within that region we hope to facilitate the development of one
regional coalition of groups and organizations and several
community coalitions within the communities who decide to
participate in the project.  Based on a planned approach to enhance
capacity within the coalitions and within the member organizations of
the coalitions, the intended results would be: a) communities that
are able to idnetify and address their health promotion needs
particularly in the area of heart health, and b) organizations that
have heart health promotion as an integral part of their regular
work and focus.

We have been creating and collecting materials in several areas
(e.g. Building Effective Coalitions training module from Ontario Prevention
Clearinghouse and several workbooks on health communication from the
Health Communication Unit, University of Toronto, to name a few) but
help with the following training needs would be most welcome:
  - understanding and utilizing the determinants of health in your
     work
  - participatory action research
  - creating and advocating for healthy public policy/using a health
     impact assessment tool (samples of these tools would be
      appreciated - I have the one from B.C. Ministry, 1993)
  - applying behavior change theory to program planning
  - judging program cost effectiveness
  - applying the stages of change theory to program planning
  - priorizing - basing program decisions on information and need

We are  also interested in "train the trainer" approaches or
materials.  Thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

I very much enjoy arriving at work each morning and reading listserve
members' thoughts on health promotion topics and learning about their
areas of research.  Thanks to Allison and Liz for coordinating
Click4HP and for doing such a great job.

Anne Cogdon
Heart Health Nova Scotia