From:
Jean-Marc Dupont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 10:45:47 -0400
Jiri from Down Under recently asked:

Hi there, world... I am covering the Role of Media in
Health Promotion in my undergraduate class.  Do you
know of any recent articles covering the topic... examples
of effective interventions, etc? It's hard to find things here
Down Under...

One response from Jennifer Mclennan at Health Canada
related to social marketing and she helpfully pointed us
to a section of Health Canada's web site for more information.

I thought I would also add a slightly different twist Jiri. A number
of organizations in Ontario recently undertook a project which
dealt with writing press releases, op-ed pieces, letters to the
editors, etc. in an effort to promote a broader perspective on
issues covered in the media.  In short, the project (called "Making
a Difference") sought to identify opportunities where news stories
dealing with any of the broad determinants of health were narrowly
covered and proceeded to take that opportunity to respond to it.

This project also gave us the opportunity to present the concept
of the determinants for health (we also looked at the Lalonde report,
WHO definitions, the Ottawa Charter, etc.) to fourth year University
journalists-in-training. The slide show presentation we gave them is
available on our web site if you or anyone else is interested. The
reason I thought of suggesting this was that at the end of the
presentation
we suggested ways they can look at "health" issues more broadly
and challenged the journalism students to "look at yourselves as health
promoters".

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

JM Dupont
Principal
The Alder Group <[log in to unmask]>

P.S. Please note my change of Email address for friends and
colleagues who may not have recieved my notice last week.
Thanks.  FROM:  [log in to unmask]     TO:    [log in to unmask]