From:
Madeline Boscoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 06:58:39 -0600
Hi everyone:

As I think everyone on this list is aware, arising from our National Forum
on Health, the federal government is sponsoring a variety of invitation
only conference/workshops on Pharmacare, homecare and the "health
information highway"

there has been little discussion in at least the circles I move in about
what kind of recommendations or ideas that those of us in health promotion
and community development would like to see. at present much of the
discussion in my province has been focussed on medical records, "smart
cards" and privacy. there is little visioning about other types of health
information or the priorities and needs of the public.

I am suggesting to the organizers that they need to be sure everyone is,
for example, using the same definition of health information and a health
information structure. I am seeking any suggestions of where to find a good
one that has been used or recommended. I expect someone on this list has
such a thing. n'est pas? perhaps our friends internationally might have
something?

Too often the discussions I have heard seem to focuss on centralized health
information systems ie national 1 800 numbers or websites but little on the
possible roles of local networks, libraries, freenets, community health
centres etc.

any way enough fretting, I look forward to comments and definitions, madeline!
Madeline Boscoe
Women's Health Clinic
3rd floor - 419 Graham Ave
Winnipeg, Manitoba