Sender:
From:
"Mary Elaine Kiener, RN, PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:09:23 EDT
Jiri--A rather "quick"-ly put together response.....we can always continue
our conversation! :))
Both models I work with are based on the following three assumptions re:
change:
1) Is a process, not an event
2) Unfolds through a series of stages
3) Stage-specific tasks and concerns

Each is grounded in research......but the second one has been much more
"commercialized" for common use.......I find myself now using the second one
more.....

a) The Stages of Concern/Levels of Use Model was originally developed for use
with teachers....have not seen much about it lately [but also haven't always
been looking, either :))]  It's major "focus" was that a person
contemplating/undergoing change would have varying "concerns"--based on which
stage they were at.....so that once you knew which stage they were in, you
could then tailor your intervention to that level.
M   6 Refocusing        I have some ideas about something that
P                           would work even better
A   5 Collaboration     I am concerned about relating what I
C                           do with what others are doing.
T   4 Consequence       How is my use affecting others?

A   3 Management        I seem to be spending all my time
S                           getting material ready

S   2 Personal          How will using it affect me?
E   1 Informational     I would like to know more about it
L   0 Awareness     I am not concerned about it

VI  RENEWAL User reevaluates the quality of use of the innovation, seeks
major modifications of or alternatives to present innovation to achieve
increased impact, examines new developments in the field, and explores new
goals for self and the system.
V   INTEGRATION User combines own efforts to use the innovation with related
activities of colleagues to achieve a collective impact.
IVB REFINEMENT  User varies the use of the innovation to increase its impact
within user's immediate sphere of influence.  Variations are based on
knowledge of both short- and long-term consequences.
IVA ROUTINE Use of the innovation is stabilized.  Few if any changes are
being made in ongoing use.  Little preparation or thought is given to
improving innovation use or its consequences.
III MECHANICAL USE  User focuses most effort on the short-term, day-to-day
use of the innovation with little time for reflection.  Changes in use are
made to meet user needs rather than others' needs.  The user is primarily
engaged in a stepwise attempt to master the tasks required to use the
innovation, often resulting in disjointed and superficial use.
II  PREPARATION User is preparing for first use of the innovation.
I   ORIENTATION User has recently acquired or is acquiring information about
the innovation and/or has recently explored or is exploring its values
orientation and its demands upon user and user system.
O   NONUSE  User has little or no knowledge of the innovation, no involvement
with the innovation, and is doing nothing toward becoming involved.

Adapted from:  The LoU Chart:  Operational Definitions of Levels of Use of
the Innovation.  Austin:  Research and Development Center for Teacher
Education, The University of Texas, 1975.
----

b) This second model is based on stage of "readiness" [in contrast to "risk
assessment"]--work by Prochaska [can't quickly find the reference, but will
search for it if you need.....]
There are 6 stages of change:
Precontemplation
Contemplation
Preparation
Action
Maintenance
Termination
[am attaching a copy of a "Microsoft Powerpoint" file that I've used for
overheads for one of the presentations I do (for helping folks understand how
to best present certain levels of content re: the need for fruits and
veggies).....if you can access it, and look at the "notes" pages, you'll get
a good feel for how I use this model.....]

Then, if you'd like to talk more, let me know......
Mary Elaine Kiener, RN, PhD
ASK ME House
      Creating partners in healthful living
and
    Bed and Breakfast Accommodations
PO Box 19083
Lansing, MI 48901-9083
Ph: 517.484.3127 or 1.800.275.6341 (800.ASK ME 41)
Email:  [log in to unmask]
Website:  www.juiceplus.com/+mk48296

In a message dated 6/18/00 12:16:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,