From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 17:56:00 EST
Greetings

As a co-owner and co-facilitator of this list-serv on health promotion, I
encourage subscribers who have questions about the nature of the list-serv,
it's history or issues about subscribing/ digesting/ replying to postings/
error messages/ archives and unsubscribing to *please* contact the
list-owners and facilitators.  We're a friendly, amiable group of volunteers
willing to respond to such questions and to make participation in the
discussion easier; as well as to make it easier for other subscribers.

CLICK4HP co-facilitators & list-owners:
Alison Stirling <[log in to unmask]>
Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]

Today we have had two postings asking questions about the nature of the
list-serv and it's history. Unfortunately, these postings did not include
e-mail addresses [or a name in the first one] to assist people like me
(Alison) who suffer under Microsoft Mail system of not revealing the senders
name and address.
 Assuming that we have several new people who have joined the list-serv in
November, I am copying part of a message that appeared on October 31, 1996,
marking our six month anniversary of the list-serv.
Liz Rykert and I started the list-serv as a place to discuss how health
promotion practitioners use computer-mediated communication in their work;
intending that the results of the discussion over two months would be a lead
into a workshop at the Canadian Public Health Association conference in
early July.  The list-serv and discussion on the nature of health promotion
has continued long past June.  We have discussed some 'alternative'
therapies in the course of exchanges and have suggested other resources,
web-sites and list-servs that may be of interest, or meet specific needs of
subscribers.  Although we have been fairly far-ranging in our discussions,
CLICK4HP has not, and probably will not have, extensive "talking alternative
medicine or excercise or conventional medicine".  I encourage people who are
interested in finding such list-servs to search on 'Liszt: searchable
directory of e-mail discussion groups" at http://www.liszt.com/.

Liz Rykert and Sam Lanfranco are away for two weeks and may not be able to
send their comments as co-facilitators/list-owners.

Alison Stirling
co-facilitator & list-owner of CLICK4HP  (health promotion on-line
discussion)
Thursday, October 31, 1996 11:11AM
Subject: Why CLICK4HP exists and its uses

As CLICK4HP "Health Promotion On-Line" discussion approaches it's six month
anniversary, Liz Rykert & Alison Stirling [your friendly co-facilitators]
think it is time to remind ourselves why the list exists, what it is useful
for and what it should *not* be used for.

CLICK4HP is:
(a) an electronic venue for discussing how the Internet can be used for
health promotion in Canada and around the globe;
(b) an electronic site for posting related health promotion information;
and,
(c) a virtual workspace for health promoters to work together.

The dialogue on how organizations and individuals use electronic information
technology (IT) and the Internet for health promotion involves more than 325
participants from around the world. Building our skills together is an
underlying theme of the effort. CLICK4HP uses a shared facilitation approach
to animate and organize the discussion online.

CLICK4HP Topics have included:
 - what is 'real' health promotion - favorite web sites on health
 - heart health risk assessment tools   - working with virtual & literal
communities
 - electronic work spaces          - evidence based HP practice
 - creating supportive environments     - community mobilization & advocacy
 - smoking cessation programs - health promotion and population health
 - behavioural change theories     - capacity building & empowerment
 - conferences, symposiums, books and program announcements.
A comment from "a participant".
>I feel that CLICK4HP listserv should be used as an international source of
>networking, support and as a resource for a professional group of people
>working within the context of health promotion.  Sort of an international
>group of colleagues in a cyber-workplace.  Seeing that I'm working
>independently now, I really value the opportunity to bounce ideas off of
>colleagues from all over the world, and get help with work I am doing.

If you have any questions, please contact the list facilitators:
Alison Stirling <[log in to unmask]> from the Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse

Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]> from The Family Service Association of Metro
Toronto.
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask] Distributed Knowledge Project York
University

If you have Internet access and are interested in HP on-line, see:
http://www.opc.on.ca  Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse
http://www.utoronto.ca:80/chp/  U. of Toronto Centre for Health Promotion
http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/CommunitySupport/CHPNA/CHPNAHome.html  CHPN
Atlantic