From:
Zoran Cvetkovski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 21:30:33 +1000
I want to give my contribution to the discussion about Dr. Dennis Raphael report for cardiovascular diseases in which I am orientated on three general approaches to health education and health promotion in Australia.

Cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack and strokes, is the major cause of death among Australian people. Researches show that one in seven Australians now suffer from high blood pressure, which can lead to heart disease and other serious complications. By lowering high blood pressure and cholesterol level, you can reduce the risk of having a heart attack and stroke. Medication as well as lifestyle changes as healthy eating, regular exercise and stress management can lower both blood pressure and cholesterol level. It is very important that you continue to follow your doctor's instructions regarding the prevention of disease as well as any recommendations on diet, exercise, and medication.

Another example in which are implemented this principals is Liverpool cardiac rehabilitation and healthy lifestyle program made up of four main components such as:

  1.. Cardiac Education, Counseling, Activity program-to reduce future risk of heart problems, learn to reduce and deal with stress, develop a healthy diet
  2.. Cardiac Recovery and Rehabilitation Outpatient Program to improve quality of life, which consists of education and relaxation session, counseling and group discussions
  3.. Moderate exercise program which provides exercise in a very structured way to improve health and fitness level.
  4.. Social support group which main idea is to continue companionship and friendship between people with coronary heart disease

Those programs are free or the cost of these classes is symbolic or is covered by most private health funds.

As it is mentioned, what we can change is our diet and lifestyle. But there are some factors that we can't change, for example family history, gender, age, or social and environmental factors. Over those we have a little or no control. So poor health can be genetically inherited no matter what kind of lifestyle and diet we have.

In context of social -economical and environmental approach, we can tell that (as The Public Health Association of Australia notes) poverty is a real issue in Australia for over 2 million people. Income is one of the most important factors affecting everyday living, especially low income households who have been identified as being at risk of under-nutrition. In fact these people are having major difficulties maintaining a healthy food. , Adequate facilities for food preparation and consuming, water supply and waste disposal. Those people are forced by economic necessity to live in lower quality housing. It is certainly that safe and appropriate housing is important in protecting and promoting the health of all Australians. Moreover homelessness is a major social issue with serious health implications for those affected. On the other hand the environment factors such as pollution, greenhouse warming, and humidity may have the impact on health status. . So a particular challenge is presented to the public health community to provide appropriate health promotion. Other types of health hazards are exposure to ultraviolet radiation, natural physical disasters, climate events and urban social disintegration. In addition the effects of these impacts are likely to be unequally distributed according to existing social inequities and may exacerbate these inequities. Because of that, the promotion of equity in access to control of natural and social resources is a successful strategy for achieving human health and wellbeing, and ecological and social sustainability.

Dr. Maja Cvetkovska

Student of MPH UNSW