From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 13:32:42 -0400

  Guelph Mercury
  The Editorial Page, Friday, September 7, 2001, p. A8

  Local Views

  Staying healthy in Canada: what's missing

  Raphael, Dennis

  Most Canadians believe that medical and health research is an ideologically
neutral
  activity getting at the "facts" that exist in the world. And they also believe
 that the "facts"
  that get reported to us by the media are presented to us free of any
ideological filter.

  The problem with this view is that illness prevention and health promotion is
  particularly ideological enterprise. A number of different approaches to
understanding
  and promoting health exists and the dominance of each view (biomedical,
lifestyle, and
  societal) ebbs and flows according to which political and societal values
currently
  predominate.

  Currently, the health research that is reported to us about the causes of
diseases in
  general - and particularly heart disease and cancer - is that these result
from biological
  imbalances in our bodies that reflect faulty lifestyle choices. This message
is repeated
  by organizations such as the Canadian Cancer Society, the Heart and Stroke
  Foundation and Canadian public health departments. A typical message is given
by
  British Medical Officer Liam Donaldson:

  Ten Tips for Better Health

  1. Don't smoke. If you can, stop. If you can't, cut down.

  2. Follow a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables.

  3. Keep physically active.

  4. Manage stress by, for example, talking things through and making time to
relax.

  5. If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation.

  6. Cover up in the sun, and protect children from sunburn.

  7. Practice safer sex.

  8. Take up cancer screening opportunities.

  9. Be safe on the roads: follow the Highway Code.

  10. Learn the First Aid ABC - airways, breathing, circulation.

  The problem with this message is that a wealth of research - virtually none of
 it
  reported in the Canadian and USA media - indicates that the factors that have
the
  greatest impact on whether we develop life-threatening diseases are usually
out of our
  personal control. More specifically, many large-scale studies find that
poverty and
  income levels rather than medical and lifestyle factors such as the Ten Tips
are better
  predictors of whether we develop diseases such as heart disease and cancer.

  The magnitude of these income effects are staggering. It is estimated that 23
per cent of
  all premature years of life lost prior to age 75 in Canada can be attributed
to income
  differences.

  Of these premature deaths related to income differences, the greatest
proportion of
  these years lost - 22 per cent - is caused by heart disease and stroke.
Seventeen per
  cent are a result from injuries, and 14 per cent from cancers. And numerous
studies
  indicate that the material conditions under which we live - especially during
childhood -
  are far greater determinants of whether we die from illness than our adult
"lifestyle
  choices".

  Why are we not reading about these studies which appear with ongoing
regularity in
  journals such as the British Medical Journal, the New England Journal of
Medicine,
  Social Science and Medicine, and the International Journal of Epidemiology,
among
  others? This is where ideology enters into the equation.

  The current political climate is one of individualism and associated with
neo-liberal
  ideology. The public health counterpart - healthy lifestyle choices - fits
nicely into this
  ideology which is associated with a retreat from the welfare state, a
diminishing concern
  with the common good, and a move away from equity and equal opportunity for
all.

  As we become more familiar with the effects of such government directions -
and the
  studies that usually go unreported - we will probably begin to think about
health and
  how to maintain it in the ways suggested by David Gordon of Bristol University
 in the
  UK:

  An Alternative Ten Tips for Better Health

  1. Don't be poor. If you can, stop. If you can't, try not to be poor for long.

  2. Don't have poor parents.

  3. Own a car.

  4. Don't work in a stressful, low-paid manual job.

  5. Don't live in damp, low quality housing.

  6. Be able to afford to go on a foreign holiday and sunbathe.

  7. Practice not losing your job and don't become unemployed.

  8. Take up all benefits you are entitled to, if you are unemployed, retired or
 sick or
  disabled.

  9. Don't live next to a busy major road or near a polluting factory.

  10. Learn how to fill in the complex housing benefit/asylum application forms
before
  you become homeless and destitute.

  So your health depends more on the distribution of wealth and public services
- not on
  your personal lifestyle. If that's the case, Canadians should ask themselves
three
  questions. Why does political ideology influence the reporting of health
research? How
  can we learn about research that shows the importance of non-lifestyle factors
 in
  Canadians' health? When will Canadians begin to see that economic policy is
health
  policy?

  Dennis Raphael PhD is an associate professor with the School of Health
  Policy and Management, Atkinson Faculty of Liberal and Professional
  Studies, York University. He is the author of "Inequality is Bad for Our
  Hearts: Why Low Income and Social Exclusion Are Major Causes of Heart
  Disease in Canada."

  Length: Medium, 659 words

© 2001 Guelph Mercury. All rights reserved.   Doc.: 20010907GU0033