From:
Kerrie Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:27:30 -0500
I have some  dilemmas about the extended value of the technology too.   I
worry about the loss of jobs and how many more of those we can handle?
Recently in the Star I read that 80,000 jobs in the banking business will
be lost because of new technologies.  That is apparently close to half of
those working in the field.  Imagine the extended impact on the downtown
cores of some of our major cities.The example of using kiosks for human
services is another good example.

I don't know how to resolve this issue.  I know how much the net provides
for me, it has not interfered with my work, it has enhanced it.  I guess I
am still a little naive in the creation of a vision that would ensure we
all have some means of survival.  When I read Sam's posting the sci-fi
flick images returned where there were computer terminals on street corners
and people had to check in so the government or whoever knew where they
were.  I suppose those were the people that lost out in the "restructuring"
processes.

Again, I would love to be able to resolve this issue - I know you all out
there can help!

Kerrie Duncan