Sender:
From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:54:25 -0600
For ALA in May, I am hoping to submit a paper on my findings regarding the
US cultural response to Andrew Hoffman's controversial thesis about Twain's
possible gay sexual activities out west.  My paper is not interested in
either confirming or eschewing the historical activities of Twain;
instead, I read the wildly uneven response in terms of the current
atmosphere of the culture wars.

Does anyone know of any analytical pieces/ essays about Hoffman's gay
thesis, particularly ones that view the episode as culturally revealing?

Dr. Harold K. Bush, Jr.
Saint Louis University