Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:22:56 EST5EDT
From:
Jason Horn <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
Sender:
Mindy,

        No doubt, your group is now reading Twain's book as I write this
note.  To my mind,__ The Mysterious Stranger__ represents Twain at
his best.  I am not sure what version of this tale you are using, but
 William Gibson provides a fine discussion of the several versions
in his introduction to Mark Twain's Mysterious Stranger Manuscripts
(1969).  You might also check out John Tuckey's _Mark Twain and
Little Satan_, a small pamphlet packed with fascinating information
on Twain's Stranger tales.  For a more detailed analysis of the
tales, see Sholom Kahn's _Mark Twain's Mysterious Stranger_.  Much of
my own _Mark Twain & William James__is also given over to a
discussion of the tales, especially _No. 44, The Mysterious
Stranger_.
        I recommend _No. 44_. if your group has not decided on a text at
this point.  The U of California publishes a paperback edition with
some explanatory notes.  This text, I believe, represents Twain's
final version of the tale of the mysterious stranger.  Be prepared
for some fun with  zany plot complications, experimental writing, and
highly speculative thinking on Twain's part. In fact,  I do believe
_No. 44_celebrates independent thinkin, itself, and invites readers
to ride along with Twain on  a rip-roaring romp through the
mysteries of mind.  This is certainly Twain at his most imaginative
and _No. 44__ reveals his genius in process.
        Others may disagree--reading the Stranger tales as some end result
of  an ever-deepening cynical vision.  But I believe the differing
viewpoints here could be best discussed with _No. 44__ as your chosen
text.

Here's to an entertaining jaunt through Twain's own mysterious
mind,

Jason G. Horn
Gordon College
Barnesville, Georgia