From:
Ted Ficklen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 08:20:46 CDT
Hannibal is interesting as a tourist trap. You can stay at the Mark Twain
Quality Inn, grab a bite at the Mark Twain dinette, grab souveniers at the
Becky Thatcher Bookshop, shop at the Huck Finn Plaza, freeze to death in
Injun Joe's Cave...

It is a cute town, in its own way, though there does not seem much commerce
left that is not tied to the tourists. This being said, the souveniers and
such
there are really quite cheaply priced. Check out the Mark Twain cream
pitcher--
a rather nice little item and the bargain of the century at only 2 dollars.

If you are driving up to Hannibal from St Louis, let me recommend that you
take the more circuitous route, Highway 79, instead of the straighter,
somewhat
speedier Highway 61. 79 is a beautiful twisty turny road that runs right
beside
the Mississippi and takes you through some interesting little towns and
ghost
towns on the way up there. Louisiana, Clarksville, towns that look untouched
by
tourism (somewhat to their dismay, I expect).

Hannibal is about 90 minutes-2 hours drive north of Interstate 70, whichever
way you choose.

Have fun.

Ted Ficklen
University of Missouri - St Louis