From:
Everett Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 09:58:49 -0500
I agree with David Barber's comments.  I reviewed Arac's book, favorably,
for the journal American Literature.  It's a very sophisticated and
persuasive book.  I've since reviewed Chadwick-Joshua's book, also for
American Literature.  I found her book very well meaning and at times
helpful: her comments on Huck and Jim's arguments, for example, are valid
and useful.  But her book is simply not in the same arena as Arac's book.

Everett Emerson