From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 17:35:42 -0500
Mykietka!

What a great starting point!

Recently I was talking to someone who saw 'harm reduction" as more "kaka".
 So your posting really struck a cord with me.

I very much support harm reduction, as I feel not going in this direction
is immoral!  I think traditionally the only access to health promotion or
to prevention was very unrealistic such as "we are going to make people
better by stopping them from engaging in sex, using drugs, etc"

I very much feel that harm reduction is both prevention and health
promotion, not to mention empowering.  I feel it is saying "Okay this is
the place you are in your life, here is the information you need to stay
safe"

Others?

----------
From:   Mykietka[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

    It is very sad that so many people really don't care about the
thousands of women and men whose existence consists of doing whatever they
can to get a fix or selling their body in order to survive.  It might be
necessary to give people choice on how to be safer even when practicing a
risky behavior but I think we must also go beyond this to personal
empowerment and social change.

What do you think?  Is harm reduction in conflict with health promotion?

Karen Mykietka, M.Sc., B.Ed.
Email: [log in to unmask]