From:
Mykietka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:48:39 -0700
Thanks for all the comments.  I agree with most of them.  I think that harm
reduction is necessary and it is a first step in health promotion.  My
frustration is that many people think if they're doing harm reduction that
that is enough.  That this is AIDS prevention.  And too often we don't go to
the next steps in health promotion of dealing with the larger social and
structural issues.

"Reflecting an ideological commitment to individualism, the only prevention
actions seriously suggested are those that can be implemented by
individuals.  Intended or not, these attitudes implicitly accept social
inequalities in health and fail to challenge the social production of
disease."  (Fee and Krieger, 1993)

Karen Mykietka, M.Sc., B.Ed.
Email: [log in to unmask]

The AIDS Network of Edmonton