From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 09:43:21 -0500
Hi,

A real pressing issue around income as a determinant of health is the
proposed Market Basket Measure of Poverty. The Feds are proposing we change
the way we define poverty from a Income Inequality (relative) measure to an
Absolute measure.  This may be an interesting advocacy point for people
involved in health, as it is quite a shift in how we deal with issues of
poverty in Canada.

For more information on this issue, visit:

http://home.istar.ca/~ers2/poverty/poverty.htm

http://www.ccsd.ca/98/edcit98.htm

http://www.ccsd.ca/98/edgm98.htm

http://www.napo-onap.ca/nr-what.htm

----------
From:   CDTeam SDH[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

So, I have come to believe that
effective action consists of a multi-pronged strategy:
1. TAKING AN ADVOCACY POSITION when there are opportunities for policy
choices that are clearly about income disparities, e.g. minimum wage or
income tax rates for low income people or access fees for public services.
This gives the public the idea that health and income are connected, and,
even though you may, as we did, get a lot of flak from the press and
business groups, it gives people hope and lets them see the opportunity of
using larger organizations to work with them on their issues.